Provincial Legislature (Vote 2) – Resolution 92/2004 – Rentals : Ulundi Flats
Noting: Item 4.1.2 of the report of the Auditor-General;
The House resolves:
1. That the Acting Accounting Officer of the Provincial Legislature provide the Public Accounts Committee with a copy of the letter from the Department of Works, stating their change in position with regard to taking over the administration of the Ulundi flats and ministerial housing.
2. That the Acting Accounting Officer report to the committee by 30 November 2004 on:
* Who still occupies the Ulundi flats?
* Arrear rentals owed on these flats as a result of lower than market related rentals being paid by tenants and members.
* Action taken to vacate the flats and any legal action taken against people who ignored the eviction notices.
* Action taken to recover arrear rentals from staff, members and external tenants who have occupied the flats.
* Action taken to raise and collect interest on overdue rentals owed by staff, members and external tenants who have occupied the flats.
* The list of ministerial houses in Ulundi and who occupies these houses. The outstanding rentals owed on those houses from 1999 and action taken to recover rentals and arrear interest.
* Rentals being paid and any arrears including interest owed as a result of lower than market related rentals being paid by members from the 14th September 2002.
3. That the resolution of the Executive Board regarding the take over of the flats at Ulundi by the Department of Works, be officially referred to the Public Accounts Committee at its next hearing with the Provincial Legislature.
4. That, in view of the fact that the Acting Accounting Officer has not been able to resolve this matter with the South African Revenue Services (SARS), the Speaker be requested to write to SARS to get a ruling on the payment of outstanding income tax by those members or staff who have occupied the Ulundi Flats at less than market related rental.